Chapter History

The Rincon del Diablo Chapter, NSDAR, was formed in 1954 as the 134th chapter organized in California, with Etta Fort Barringer appointed as the organizing regent. Our first meeting was held at the First Methodist Church in Escondido with 25 members present. In 1997, we merged with the Rancho Bernardo Chapter, NSDAR. 

Our chapter’s name comes from the original Rancho Rincon del Diablo. This rancho was granted to Juan Bautista Alvarado by the Mexican Governor in 1843. It was mainly a cattle operation, made up of over 12,000 acres in a beautiful valley, which has now become the city of Escondido. The hides and tallow from the rancho were sold to the ship operators coming into San Diego Bay in the 1840s. This rancho was home to many excellent horses and cowboys.

The name, Rincon del Diablo, loosely translates to “The Devil’s Corner” – now the name of our chapter newsletter. Why it was so named seems to have eluded historians, but the best guess is that since the area was not part of the California mission system, it must have been inhabited by the devil!


National Society Daughters of the American Revolution

California State Society Daughters of the American Revolution

Photo courtesy of San Diego History Center.